AR-15 design rifles are displayed for sale in Firearms Unknown, a gun shop in Oceanside, Calif., on April 12, 2021. (Bing Guan/Reuters)
California officials on Thursday said the state has appealed a national judge‘s decision to strike down its three-decade-old ban on assault-design weapons, saying the law is needed to stop gun deaths.
The appeal battles a week’s ruling from U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego that the law illegally infringes upon the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, which guarantees the right of citizens to bear arms.
Gov. Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Rob Bonta, both Democrats, told a news conference outside a San Francisco hospital they had been confident the decision was faulty and would eventually be overturned.
“We’re better than this,” said a visibly frustrated Newsom, who also sharply criticized the estimate.
The state will ask the appeals court to put the ruling on hold during the allure; Benitez remained his order from taking effect for 30 days, leaving the legislation in place for the time being.
California became the first state to ban assault weapons in 1989 in the aftermath of a school shooting that killed five kids. Six additional states and the District of Columbia possess an assault weapons ban set up, according to the gun security group Giffords.
A national assault